Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Interesting Weather in my Back Yard: Snow

Last Saturday morning it began to snow. It's not unheard of to get snow in November in Alpine, but it's hardly ever more than just a dusting, and it almost never sticks to the roads. This one was different. We got about four inches and the roads were a mess.

I took this Saturday morning shortly after looking up from my practicing and saying, "Holy crap!" About 10:00 AM.



At about 1:00 PM I noticed it was beginning to stick to the patio.



By 3:00 PM the patios - and the roads - were completely covered.



This was, of course, a sign from God.

I heard a voice say, "Go! Thou shalt play with thine 4x4 pickup in this snow I have smitten thee with!"

I obeyed, naturally. Fun was had. I checked the local McDonald's, but Al Gore was nowhere to be found. Strange...

By the middle of the night, an impressive collection of ice sickles had formed along my roof.



The next morning, it was a winter wonderland.



The ice sickles continued to grow throughout the day.



The snow, however, vanished by dusk on Sunday with temps back up into the high forties.



This is the way snow ought to be done. Last Wednesday it was 84 degrees and by next Wednesday it's supposed to be back up into the mid-seventies. The snow stays around for a day to have fun with, but not long enough to get dirty and tick me off. I love Alpine.



Now that's what I call a bad hair day. I don't have those anymore.

3 Comments:

Blogger Machinist said...

It would appear your builder is quite impressive as well.

2:47 AM  
Blogger SillyBlindHarper said...

Delightful! Thanks for sharing this. I can't wait to send my other (not Machinist) NewTexan friend over to see this post.

"Go! Thou shalt play with thine 4X4..."

You crack me up...

4:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The icicles are very impressive to someone from Queensland.

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home