Tuesday, January 30, 2007

What's REALLY Missing From Contemporary Music

“Where there is devotional music, God is always at hand with His gracious presence.” - J.S. Bach

“It is a great consolation for me to remember that the Lord, to whom I had drawn near in humble and child-like faith, has suffered and died for me, and that He will look on me in love and compassion.” - W.A. Mozart

"Beseech the eternal God that He keep us on the path of virtue, honor and justice, ennoble and purify my heart and soul." - G. Meyerbeer

“No friend have I. I must live by myself alone; but I know well that God is nearer to me than others in my art, so I will walk fearlessly with Him.” - L. van Beethoven

"Though everything else may appear shallow and repulsive, even the smallest task in music is so absorbing, and carries us so far away from town, country, earth, and all worldly things, that it is truly a blessed gift of God." - Felix Mendelssohn

"I am convinced that there are universal currents of Divine Thought vibrating the ether everywhere and that any who can feel these vibrations is inspired." - Richard Wagner

“Straight-away the ideas flow in upon me, directly from God, and not only do I see distinct themes in my mind's eye, but they are clothed in the right forms, harmonies, and orchestration.” - Johannes Brahms

*****

Compare those men with Schoenberg, Stockhausen, and Foss.

Composers today concern themselves with insignificant musical developments, and worry about what was lost with the move to equal temperament, or whatever - yadda, yadda, yadda; blah, blah, blah - but a much larger problem with music today is that it has absolutely no spiritual content whatsoever. The audience senses this.



I'm sure she's playing music with spirit.

1 Comments:

Blogger solitudex said...

Simple and charming post. I'm not so sure if I want to put Richard Wagner though. His idea of spiritual content doesn't quite fit into the entire group's.

It's really comforting to have such wonderful, spiritual works of theirs which have withstood the test of time. But don't you think that those modern developments also seek to purify and weed out those problems in the current system we have? Well, I'm sure there're modern composers who are spiritual and would like to make use of the modern technology to create purer sounds using a better tuning system and create spiritual music for our beloved Father as well...

=)

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home