Thursday, February 12, 2009

San Antonio Wedding Fair

One of my musical buds - a guy I go back to The Southwest Guitar Conservatory and Berklee with - tuned me in to an event I'd never have thought of attending before, the San Antonio Wedding Fair. I've been to several music industry trade shows in the past - NAMM, AES, and CES - so I sorta/kinda knew what to expect, but I decided to play it minimalist nonetheless: Just my 17" PowerBook with iTunes playing a five-song demo, flyers, cards, and my RMC Nylon Fly as a prop.



My primary mission was to connect with as many wedding planners, event coordinators, caterers, &c. as possible, because I didn't really expect much "off the street" business, and I accomplished that, but I also got a surprising level of interest from the brides and grooms to be. I was kinda ticked off that I had to miss the last day of the Southwest Guitar Festival - the Assad brothers played - but I'm glad I went.

There's another one of these in June, and since I got the lay of the land this time, I'll bring a full sound system and do some actual performing at that one. I'm guessing there were two or three other musicians at the show, plus a couple of bands, and they would play briefly every hour or so, and everyone seemed to be conscientious about not stepping on each other's toes. The DJ's, OTOH, were a different story. Oh well.

I'm sure glad I brought a pair of headphones!

2 Comments:

Blogger Minicapt said...

YES!!!!
Guitar Polkas!!!

Cheers

10:54 PM  
Blogger Hucbald said...

Yes, I'll become the polka King of San Antonio. I now have a VISION!

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home