Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Sonicbids is a Rip-Off

Don't join Sonicbids. If you are already a member, quit now.

Like many Berklee alumni, I was offered a six month free Sonicbids membership. At the time, I really didn't know Richard Johnson about it, but I decided to try it out. Big mistake. The entire paradigm is wrong: Musicians pay to bid on gigs... as if musicians and money problems aren't already the stuff of legend. I was expecting a place to post a resume and some MP3's and have the gigs come to me - that's the way it should work - but I was expected to bid on gigs in addition to paying membership fees. I try not to swear on MMM, but that's bullshit, that's what that is.

Not wanting to go full-on and declare Sonicbids a scam, I decided to do some Google searches. There were some interesting and humorous results. Well, if you call making a business out of ripping off musicians amusing. I don't.

Well, I cancelled my account... after a couple of "Why?" and "Are you sure?" warnings I got a "Bummer" message. I thought that was the end of it, but no. They offered me a six month extension... FREE! via email. Oh, brother. So, I had to "opt out" to cancel that, and to make absolutely sure I responded to the email too, and told them I thought Sonicbids was a rip-off. I wish I was confident this will finally be the end of it, but I'm not.

Here's the shyster who runs this scam: Panos Panay. Avoid him like he has H1N1.


"Bye Sonicbids!"

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell it like is. Sonic Bids is FREAKIN EVIL. Bands and performers should actively boycott them and any venue that uses Sonic Bids -- including SXSW etc.

1:48 AM  
Anonymous David said...

Right on Brother!

I want to let you know from my personal experience with SB there are some real strange things going on too...for instance months after I stopped submitting to anything and after all the deadlines for answers from the submissions I did make had long since expired, I have noticed I've been getting regular almost daily random hits on my EPK (Wich is not linked on my website or myspace or anything.

I certainly can't prove it, but I highly doubt all those hits are real when I am not even submitted to anything. If someone involved with SB could blow the whistle and be able to prove that they are manipulating stats, then maybe there could be a class action lawsuit against them.

I just cancelled my membership and will go get my gigs the old fashioned way, by making personal relationships with people and doing some legwork.

Thanks for posting this....and I hope the news gets out that Sonicbids is a rip off, a scam etc. My advice is to STAY AWAY!!!

The only thing that is really awful is that a couple of legitimate opps that I do want to apply for ONLY accept SB now..

But people need to know what it is that they are paying for...(I still don't)

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Rose Cora Perry said...

The TRUTH about Sonicbids:

http://www.fsu.ca/interrobang_article.asp?storyID=6757&sectionID=2&issueID=168

3:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home