Monday, September 04, 2006

It's Official: I Have a Management Contract

The Lord works in mysterious ways. Many years ago I was under contract while in a rock band, and it was a disaster. I learned a lot from the experience, but I swore I'd never have a manager again. You know what they say: Never say never.

As I have been rebuilding my neglected music career over the past two years, one thing has become apparent to me: I can't do it all alone, despite my most fervent desires. Doing all my own booking is not only a distraction that keeps me away from practice and composition, but I also do not enjoy it, and so, consequently, I'm not very good at it.

Realizing I needed a partner in this effort, I decided to ask a friend of mine who is a musician - I don't wish to name drop, but he has been a friend for over twenty years and you would recognize the name of his jazz band instantly - how he managed his booking. He turned me on to his manager, and within a couple of e-mails, I knew that this lady understood artists on a deep and fundamental level. She also has an IQ which could instantly vaporize vast seas.

The first draft of her proposed contract - THE FIRST DRAFT! - was all but flawless, and was sensitive to any outcroppings of differences which might arise, so... I signed it.



The contract runs from February, so I have a few months to collect gear, tools, get the press materials together, etc.

I. Am. Psyched.

I'll be touring the college circuit, with higbrow dinner gigs and piano bars thrown in, and she wants to start me off in... ski lodges. Too cool. Er, cold (I hate cold weather and wouldn't ski on a dare, as one of my childhood friends broke both legs on his first day out, and paid for that with several months of rehab). But, I have a bad@$$ 4x4 pickup, so I think I'll get there OK, and sitting by a fire with ski babes sipping warmed cognac in the evenings sounds like my sort of "thing."

What better way to celebrate than with a redhead pinup girl? Exactly.

5 Comments:

Blogger Terminal Degree said...

Great news! Have a great time, and keep posting from the road!

This is really exciting. I've never had a manager and will be interested to hear how it works out for you. And if you ever need a kazoo player in the south, well, you know who to call! :)

6:57 PM  
Blogger Hucbald said...

My fave terminal babe! LOL!!!

You know, I've been thinking about a double concerto for guitar and kazoo... ;^)

Thanks for the props.

George

8:30 PM  
Blogger ACB said...

Congratulations!

Having a good partner in the management office is a HUGE boon to getting things moving. Of course, we still have to hustle, but enjoy having someone to take care of the booking and publicity so that you can make your music!

8:33 AM  
Blogger solitudex said...

Congratulations, my friend! That must have been such a wonderful blessing to you. =)

Treasure it and make the best out of it!

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I would have typed sooner, but my wife and I were on a cruise all last week and I'm just now checking in on a few of my regular reads.

One of our favorite performers on the ship was a bald classical guitarist (I looked closely to see if it was you - heh). He had a wide range of music from Bach to Metallica (though I'm sure that I was one of the very few people who recognized the Metallica for what it was in its re-arranged form).

Let me know if/when you're in the DFW area.

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home