Saturday, April 28, 2007

On the Desktop I

I've decided to start a new series, because one of my hobbies is collecting desktop images. Having - as I do - a spec-freaking-tacular Apple 23" Cinema HD Display, I enjoy filling it up with several megabytes worth of coolness.

Here's a photo of my monitor tonight:



This is the image resized to fit on this blog template:



The original is 6.9MB and comes from my extensive collection of downloaded Hubble images. NASA has the entire collection, if you are interested.

What kills me about this image is not so much that it is the perfect spiral galaxy with a central bar and billions of stars, but that the entire background has dozens of additional galaxies, some of which are at extreme red shifts.

In 2001, A Space Odyssey, Dave says of the obelisk, "My God: It's full of stars!"

Nice try Dave. The real expression ought to be - for every needle-point's worth of sky - is, "My GOD! It's full of galaxies!!!"

Science proves God for me. I'm sure I'm not alone.



Speaking of "Heavenly Bodies."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home