Friday, July 03, 2009

The iPhone as Recording Studio

A friend of mine, and occasional commenter here, emailed me an amazing link the other day. It seems that there is an app for the iPhone called Four Track that turns the iPhone into a digital multitrack recorder.

So, The 88 used the iPhone/Four Track combination to record their song, Love is the Thing.



As you can see, they did the editing and mixing in Pro Tools but they used the iPhone and the iPhone's built-in microphone to lay down the basic tracks. That's pretty incredible.

Long time readers know I have a "Jesus Phone"...



... with Jesus as the wallpaper, natch, but mine is the original 8GB EDGE iPhone, and I've never gotten into the whole app thing. Well, my contract is up on my two-year-old iPhone, so I'm going to get a new 32GB 3GS iPhone, which will allow me the memory and functionality necessary to use Four Track and some other apps that I find interesting, like the Tom Tom turn-by-turn GPS navigation system.

There is also a pretty decent music notation/composition sketch pad app called Composer that requires a 3G or 3GS iPhone I'd like to get. When I got the iPhone, I just wanted a phone that would allow me to email, surf, and listen to my iTunes library. Now, it's turning into a music production device. Unbelievable.

Hat Tip to John!

2 Comments:

Blogger Minicapt said...

Yes, but can you afford the massive financial and technical outlays implicit in the iPhone studio system?

Cheers

1:03 AM  
Blogger Hucbald said...

Yeah, when I compare the cost of a new iPhone and Four Track to, oh, let's say a new Digi 003 and ProTools LE 8 it really... oh, who am I kidding. The iPhone option is dirt cheap in comparison.

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home