Saturday, April 01, 2006

Hiatus (Not an April Fool's Joke)

I'm going to take a couple of weeks off of the blog. Not because I really want to, but just because I have to. Between now and the fifteenth I have a TON of music to learn, and a BUNCH of gigs to attend to, so it will just be easier if I don't pressure myself to come up with any weblog entries during that time. If I can sneak one or two in, well then fine, but I'm just not going to worry myself about it.

*****

Wednesday night's Eric Johnson concert was a rip-roaring blast. The Railroad Blues only has a standing capacity of about two-hundred (All of the usual tables and chairs - even the barstools (!) - were removed for this show), so it was an absolutely tiny venue to see someone of that stature at. Virtually every guitarist in a one-hundred mile radius from Alpine showed up, so we had a collective blast, and since it was a Wednesday night, it was almost exclusively an audience of the cognoscenti. I went with a few of my students, and we were able to stand stage right and just a couple of feet away from Eric. Yes, we were copping licks all night, and he played some pieces I've never heard him do before: Everything from The Wind Cries Mary by Jimi Hendrix to Crazy Train by Ozzie Osborne, for crying out loud.

Unfortunately, one of my guitarist-friends brought a bottle of whisky, and I couldn't resist having some. Man, I used to be such a hard-core party animal; now I'm just a wussy old fart. So while they hung out for a while afterward, I had to make the two mile walk home while I was still physically able to.

Hell of a lot of fun, but it took me all of Thursday to recover (Fortunately my usual Thursday gig was preempted due to a party at the venue).



Did manage to get an autographed copy of his latest album, Bloom as well as the first album which was never released until 1998, Seven Worlds, which was actually recorded in the late 70's!!!

Oh yeah, the business card: Picked up yet another gig at my gig tonight. When it rains...

OK, back to frickin' Pachelbel.

*****



That's what I need: A convertible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home