Saturday, September 27, 2008

Musing Musical Monk Mulls Move

How's that for alliteration?

For the past year, I've been thinking about leaving Alpine. I don't really want to leave - I absolutely love it out here - but several factors are weighing on my mind. For one thing, my mom turns 80 on New Year's Day, and I'm the only family she has, so I ought to be closer to her, and secondly, I'm well connected out here and all the way to Tucson now musically, so I will still be out here enough playing gigs. Finally, I need a bigger market - San Antonio is my home town and there are 2.3M people there these days - so logic and necessity have both conspired to prompt me into action. This is no small deal, as I positively hate moving... but I've been here five years, and that seems to be the maximum time I spend in any one place, going by the pattern of my life.

Well, being that I've been a housing inspector for both FEMA and HUD in past years, lets just say that I have impossibly high standards for a house. I've been looking for a while, and have turned down a house or two because they weren't "perfect" - I know an amazingly detailed inspector in San Antonio who I have working for me - and I must admit that I figured that my standards would delay the process for a year or more.

Well, God has a sense of humor. It's - needless to say with the credit crisis - a buyers market today, and guess what just came up for listing? A small house just a couple of miles from mom's place that belonged to a building contractor! He's been in the place seven or eight years - the house is 25 years old - and it's a tricked out hot rod for such a small house. I'm talking 1,400 square feet, three bedrooms, two baths, corner lot (Mom's place is well over 2K square feet).

Super clean looking from the front.



New roof, fresh paint, nice landscape work.

The contractor-owner redid every room in the house: dining area.



Living room.



Kitchen.



Master bath (Hall bath has a tub and is completely tiled in bright white: I probably won't set foot in it for fear of smudging something. LOL!).



So, this is the ultimate bachelor pad for me. Perfect in every detail, redone by a meticulous independent contractor like I used to be... so, I put an offer in on it. Oh, the back yard has a covered section of the patio with ceiling fans (!) and an open stone section with a permanently installed gas grill. YESSSSSS!

5 Comments:

Blogger Minicapt said...

Musical Monk Mulls Moving Mews.

Cheers
John

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the move. And on the link from Instapundit to your official site. I've been quiet at the blog, but mulling ideas for future postings. All the best!

1:01 PM  
Blogger Hucbald said...

Thanks John,

But WHAT? Glenn has never linked to my site that I know of. I'm not anywhere in his sidebar either.

Who told you this?

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He posted your email about the quality of his webcam and the equipment in his rack yesterday. He linked to your professional website.

Here's his post:
http://www.pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/archives2/025495.php

11:35 AM  
Blogger Hucbald said...

YES! I found it last night after your post in that update. I would have missed it without your tip, thanks!

Needless to say, I got a huge traffic spike.

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home