Thursday, January 17, 2008

Lineal Study in G Major

This is the first in a series of studies that are an entirely new class of pieces for me. As you can see from the date, I wrote this back in '05, but I have just now gotten around to memorizing it: That's how far behind I am in learning my own pieces! The idea is to have a series of very angular lines that will, 1) help me to work on single line technique and, 2) allow me to execute harmonic voice leading on the guitar that is not possible in any other way. So, this piece is actually four and five voice harmony turned into a compound line.



I'm not sure how many of these I'm going to write - there is the potential for twenty-four in all of the major and minor keys, of course - but I have as of this point completed only three (Well, there was a fourth, but it didn't make the cut and ended up in the trash).

One of the things I'm doing here is avoiding the use any open strings at all. This way, the piece can be transposed up or down within any range that will fit on the guitar to fill spaces in my set that are in unusual keys, and I won't have to relearn it using another fingering. For the notation, I'm putting them in the key that is easiest to read (i.e. that has the fewest accidentals). Right now this is going into the G Major Suite in my set, but that could well change at some point.

Though it's still a ways from being performable for me, I can already see that this is going to benefit my technique in many ways, as it has me doing totally new things that no other pieces I've ever written or learned have done. Best of all, it's fun to play and sounds really cool.

The other two introduce some strategic rhythmic elements and are even more unusual (and cool), but they are also a lot more difficult to play, so I'm going to wait until I have this one in my set comfortably before I tackle them. Next on my to-learn list is the Satie Gymnopedie No. 1, which is a lovely little trifle, and quite easy to play.

*****



What an unusual creature. So unusual, that all it would take would be a nose prosthetic to turn her into a Trek Universe Exotic Alien Babe. LOL!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home