Sunday, April 20, 2008

The RMC Nylon Fly is On the Way

Sorry for the two week hiatus, but I've been dealing with some technical issues, namely that my truck suffered a malfunction necessitating hauling it to the dealership 140 miles north in Odessa. To add insult to injury, the windshield was cracked at some point up there, probably by the dealership or in their lot, so that will have to be dealt with here at some point.

But I don't care about that, because Jim just emailed and is shipping my Cedar Nylon Fly back to me tomorrow. He was going to ship it UPS Ground, which takes at least five days, but, of course, I told him I'd gladly pay the extra thousand quatloos to have it shipped Previous Day via Time Displacement Generator. LOL! I should get it Wednesday afternoon.

Jim documented his work.



Since cedar is stupid soft, Jim described drilling on it as, "nerve-wracking."



I would think, "time-consuming" with tiny saws like that.



The Polydrive I unit is miniscule, which we needed for such a thin guitar.



Those Tall Acoustic Gold saddles sure do look comforting. Both of my Godins have the shorter versions, and these are supposed to sound even better.



I'll also have the 13-pin connector to run synths and MIDI gear, of course.

I can't wait. I've set up my rehearsal studio - read spare bedroom - so I can begin to practice standing up. Yay!



The lighting is kind of weird, but that's her real hair color. I know because - ahem - everything matches.

4 Comments:

Blogger Minicapt said...

Hummpf
Now 27 Apr and no update ... so much for promises ...

Cheers

4:20 AM  
Blogger Hucbald said...

LOL!

I haven't been able to put it down, and I've been ironing out one last problem with the nut: Due to the long string channels and zero headstock pitch, the open treble strings were not ringing properly. I put an ivory nut on it from one of my handmade acoustic classicals temporarily, which helped, but the real solution was a string pull down, which I put on yesterday.

My friend Mark is making a traditional classical guitar nut for it in graphite. As soon as I get that, I'll post an update.

George

4:47 AM  
Blogger Minicapt said...

... 11 days ...

Cheers

12:18 AM  
Blogger Hucbald said...

Seven days since I got the guitar. ;-)

I have:

1) Repleced the stock nut with one from one of my Murray classical guitars.

2) Installed a string pull-down to eliminate treble string buzz.

3) Had a graphite nut cut for it (Got it Thursady).

The graphite nut buzzes, so it has further shaping work to be done on it.

Patience! These things take time, and I'll have pix of all the stages. LOL!

2:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home